Saturday, December 8, 2007

Tagged by Virrginia! The "8 Things" thing

Ms. Tombola has extended her prowess at fencing into fencing of another type, and has "scored a touch" on me with this "meme" thingy! Yikes!

Here's the rules:
1) Each player starts with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
(2) People who are tagged need to write a post on their own blog (about their eight things) and post these rules.
(3) At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
(4) Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog


Since it's so late in the game, I don't know how I'm going to find anybody in our circle in SL who hasn't already been tagged, but I'll make a feeble attempt at the end of this post.

1) My avatar is as close to resembling the "real" me as I can get it. While I'm not runway model material, I'm fairly content with my corporeal self (and will be even more so after shaving off a few more pounds). Some day I'm going to try a photo "skin" to see if I can make a better clone. I'm not worried about stalkers or predators. I'm an adult and I don't have anything to hide. Plus, want to try and find me and threaten me somehow? Bring it on! We shoot first around here. I don't "role play" in SL, either. What you see/hear is what you get. Yes, I really do use a lot of archaisms and colorful English in my everyday speech, and I eschew netspeak and other slang, unless in deliberate jest.

2) Part of the reason for my speech habits is years of historical re-enacting, from Medieval to 19th century to WW2. It doesn't hurt that my husband is a history nut, too (M.A. Western History), and pretty much dwells in the 16th c on a daily basis. Not surprisingly, like Virrginia, I also have 16th century clothes...and 14th, and 18th, and 19th, etc. I have a B.A. in Drama from the University of Washington, where I mostly did costume design. I did a lot of theater work before moving to Japan in '89. After that I ended up in California and was sucked into Civil War re-enacting, 1880s re-enacting (lots of train robbing and playing piano in saloons, see tintype above L), WW2 reenacting (war correspondant to Mr. Peterman's Brit. AB Recce), and other things. I'm using my wardrobe collection these days for modeling photoshoots and other projects, like working at the local Renaissance Festival (we have a horse show).

3) Another reason could be that, like Virrg., we don't watch the boob toob, except to put in a DVD once in awhile. When "Firefly" was canceled by the short-sighted Fox network, we canceled our satellite subscription and never looked back. We get our news from the radio and the 'net, and most of our entertainment is from our various friends and animals. Art Linkletter endorsed this concept, and I agree, "people (and animals) are funny" enough.

4) My aversion to TV aside, I DO love movies! Good ones, that is. Love watching them, love making them. I've worked on everything from blockbusters like "The Patriot" to little independent projects that may never see the light of day. Did I say good movies? OK, I'll watch a bad one, but only if it's been given the MST3k treatment. I am a slavish fan of Mystery Science Theater 3000, despite that the show was canceled in '96 (?) after a ten year run on various networks. I have a collection of VHS tapes, commercial tapes and DVDs, and now enjoy the Brains' work on the new Rifftrax.com site.

5) I'm a crazy cat (and chicken) lady. Cats are all fixed. Three of each gender, all just wandered, some literally, into my life. Six cats and 11 chickens (10 hens + 1 rooster). I shoot coyotes and any canine who enters my domain with murderous intent. Granted, I miss, but it's the thought that counts. Mr. Peterman does not miss, btw.

6) I'm an Oriental Dancer (that's "belly dancer" to most of you). Traditional (see tintype R) and nightclub. Kind of a diletante, but I've studied with some good teachers and take the occasional pro gig.

7) Mr. P and I have horses. Well, he has the horses and I help. When we met, he was working fairly consistantly as a background coordinator for cavalry background artists for big movies. Thanks to runaway production (expensive films going out of country), that dried up. A friend of ours dragged him into jousting, which sat well with his enthusiasm for 16th c cavalry.

8) I and Mr. Peterman are Christians. Mr. P only since a few years ago, and myself since childhood. I was raised Lutheran, but drifted into the Orthodox community while living in CA because I was looking for something more traditional and closer to early Christianity. Taking it to a further extreme, we now meet with other like-minded folks in somebody's house for a weekly study with no liturgy or trappings of any kind. That's about as "early" and "basic" as it gets! We still try to attend a local Anglican church when we can (Mr. P likes the hymns, as do I). I don't have a problem "hanging with" the many people of various spiritual leanings and disciplines in my "real" life or SL. Why should I? It's not my job to pick on anybody or take offense at something with which I disagree. Jesus socialized with everybody, why shouldn't I? He didn't just "hang with" Christians...but that's probably because, um, there weren't any yet.

(So far I have yet to find a single person of my acquaintance who's not already been tagged, so I'm dropping any pretense of trying at this point.)

2 comments:

Virrginia Tombola said...

Is that you in the portrait? I honestly am not sure if it is a contemporary photograph or not! If it is you, wonderful dress work :)

Neb said...

That's me...ten years or so ago. It's a ferrotype, same process as in the mid-late 19th century, so it looks "right". The suit was cobbled together from some stuff I made when I was in high school (1981?). It's the Folkwear '90s walking skirt ruched up into a pollonaise over another skirt, with some 1980s jacket pattern that looked 1890s to a high-school student. I was long out of college when I added the cuffs and other trim. I should have lined and boned it, too, because you can see how baggy it looks. Oh well, it was there, and it was sort of "instant 1880s". ;-P